Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Just don't forget the Bug

I like to think I'm a fairly laid back mom. Color on the table? Get a baby wipe. Splash ketchup on the beige carpet? A little carpet stain remover will do the trick. Fell asleep before your bath three nights in a row? As long as he doesn't stink, we're fine. French fries for dinner? Only once a month or so, but hey, he only ate green beans last night, so it all evens out.

The husband on the other hand insists upon much more order than I do. This comes from him being a teacher; without classroom organization, there is no sanity. And so, I allow him to insist on the order that he needs, as long as it doesn't cause more work for me. Good deal, huh?

And so, today, my father-in-law (FIL) and The Husband took Bug out to lunch and then for a visit to the taxidermist. What a lovely man-bonding activity for a lovely August afternoon. I'm grateful for the lack of invitation. Being the SuperDad that he is, The Husband remembered to bring Bug's sippy cup, and I'm sure a spare Pull-Up or two. (I think he brings the cup just to avoid having to share his lemonade with the drink-thief-disguised-as-a-drool-faucet, but I can't blame him. Toddler backwash is nas-tay.) However, when my cell phone rang at 1pm, it was an apologetic Husband informing me that we would need to purchase a new straw-style sippy cup for Bug because his was left behind in the restaurant. To prove how laid-back of a mom I really am, my response was not "Oh no! Is it too late to go back for the cup?", but instead, "You didn't forget Bug, did you?"

Eh, a cup can be replaced. A replacement Bug would take 9 months of baking and a little thing called human cloning.

I'm happy to be a laid back mom.

No comments: